Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reading is fun

A few weeks ago there was a call for volunteers to read to classes as part of Read-In Week. I dig reading even if I'm not big on kids, so I signed up. I read Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss and Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. I really should have saved Green Eggs and Ham for last, because it's really hard to go from reading aloud Dr Seuss's rhyme and meter to reading aloud anything that isn't Seussian. It was a fun experience.

I was early, so I stopped by the school library to ask about volunteering. It's a really nice library, with an open floor plan in a large common area of the school, and a collection that includes French and Ukrainian books. The library tech lit up when I said I was interested in volunteering, and she practically hugged me when I said I was a trained library tech. She's already making plans to get me cataloguing once I get used to their collection a bit by shelving and working circ. The library thing is even more flexible than my day job, and I won't be starting until November when my day job begins to slow to a crawl.

It's not entirely altruistic. Sure, I believe in education, reading, and the power of volunteers since public schools don't always have a lot of money. Blah blah touchy feely warm fuzzy whatevs and all that. But it will also look really good on my resume. Employers look favorably on volunteerism. More importantly, it's a way to keep my hand in the library world should I ever want to rekindle that as a career. I like my job and I have no plans to leave, but when working for an arts non-profit it's always prudent to keep an eye on future employability. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment