I finished my second sock. It was different, but not better. Rather than a fraternal twin it was more of an ugly younger sibling. But I think I've gotten a bit better at the technique which was the whole point. I washed the socks and laid them out to dry, then was wearing them a bit today. Suddenly I realized that it felt a bit drafty around my toe and looked down to see that my toe stitching had come unstitched. Boo-urns to that.
A couple days ago I cast on for my second pair. I'm using a self-striping sock yarn, small metal DPNs, and keeping track of every row. It's finicky working with the smaller needles and finer yarn, but I'm getting the hang of it. While I like metal needles for everything else, I don't like them for socks. I'll definitely be getting a set of wooden DPNs from KnitPicks.