Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I hear they make talkies now

I'm at work watching Nosferatu (1922). I got it from the library because of a discussion on older films with special effects that still hold up. This one got a couple mentions and I was curious.

It's surprisingly compelling, but I don't how much of that is the novelty of watching a silent film rather than the merits of the film itself. I've never seen a silent film before, only short parody clips of them. It's very entertaining and I'm realizing that the parodies I've seen haven't been too far off the mark. It's really hard to watch a silent film and still be somewhat productive, though. I'm not used to having to actually watch since I very often rely on listening with occasional glances at the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment